Episode 77: “The Virtual Escape”
Apple is cool and Microsoft is for nerds, right? This axiom has been around for the last 15-20 years but could this finally be shifting? In the last week, Microsoft showed off their new Surface Studio, a all-in-one self-contained PC designed for creative types, and the Surface Dial that you can stick onto the screen and is just about the most innovative thing to come out in 2016.
While Apple finally announced their latest line in MacBook Pro laptops after 4 years of not doing nada with them. They have removed a few things (like the ‘Escape Key’ and ‘HDMI port’) but have added a ‘Touch Bar’ on top of the keyboard that will dynamically adapt to the program or app you’re running on the screen.
Who won? Who made us cry? Where are the 2 tech giants headed in the near to mid-term future? Find out on the latest episode of The Lazy Couch Podcast.
Episode 77. Recorded Tuesday 1 November 2016.
00:00 – Intro
09:30 – Microsoft Surface Studio and Creators Update
- Surface Studio tech specs | microsoft.com
- Accessories for Surface devices | microsoft.com
- Hands-on with Microsoft Surface Studio and Surface Dial | cnet
- The Surface Studio is Microsoft’s Tipping Point | Life Hacker
- Surface Studio temporarily out of stock, won’t ship until early 2017 | Windows Central
- What creatives think of Microsoft’s Surface Studio | engadget
- Windows 10 ‘Creators Update’ | BGR
- Paint 3D, the biggest ever update to the classic app | The Verge
- Microsoft Surface Studio v Apple iMac: Australian specs and pricing compared | Life Hacker
34:27 – Apple MacBook Pro
- MacBook Pro – “a touch of genius” | apple.com
- No fun allowed on the Touch Bar, says Apple | TechCrunch
- Apple just told the world it has no idea who the Mac is for | Owen Williams Medium
- Benjamin Button reviews the new MacBook Pro | Pinboard Blog
- Apple is stalling for time with new MacBook Pro and Microsoft knows it | Business Insider
The intro music is ‘Helix Nebula’ by Anamanaguchi.