Are we characters in some advanced civilisation’s computer simulation? Elon Musk of Tesla and SpaceX thinks so – we looked into it and the argument stands up. Cool.
What do the recent LinkedIn and Myspace data breaches mean to you? We’ll tell you what you need to do to protect yourself from being hacked. We also explore the future of Snapchat, Nest and GoPro. And Visa gives Olympians in Rio the power of the ring? This and more on episode 62 of The Lazy Couch podcast.
Episode 62. Recorded Wednesday 8 June 2016.
Download episode 62 (mp3)
00:00 – Intro
05:16 – Villager News:
- Snapchat secretly acquires Seene | Techcrunch
- Geoff predicted the acquisition in 2014! | @geoffkim
- Facebook is disabling messaging in its mobile web app | Techcrunch
- Nest’s time a Alphabet: a ‘virtually unlimited budget’ with no results | Ars Technica
- Why Tony Fadell left Nest – and Alphabet | The Verge
- GoPro’s shift in focus to software | The Verge
- Olympic athletes will sport Visa’s new payment ring in Rio | engadget
24:08 – LinkedIn/Myspace Hacks and How to Protect Yourself:
- ‘Hackers’ (1995) | IMDb
- Zuckerberg’s Twitter and Pinterest accounts hacked | VentureBeat
- How LinkedIn’s password sloppiness hurts us all | Ars Technica
30:25 – Are we in a Computer Simulation? / Code Conference 2016:
- Code Conference overview and speakers | voxmedia.com
- Elon Musk believes we are probably characters in a computer simulation | Vox
- Are you living in a simulation? | The Simulation Argument site
- The dangers of AI – Musk | YouTube
- Recode playlists | YouTube