After 5 years of steering Oculus and their virtual reality arm for high-tech devices, Facebook are making all the right moves and pushing the industry forward with the launch of Oculus Quest – a new standalone VR headset with hand presence and 6 degrees of freedom. Oculus Connect 5 is its annual developers conference and we deep dive into the metaverse to bring you all the latest from the event. Is the future truly VR? When will we be able to jack into the Matrix?
As always, we cover all angles using clips from different sources so you get everything you need to know, right here on The Lazy Couch Podcast.
Episode 110. Recorded Friday 5 October 2018.
iTunes | subscribe | email | twitter | web | youtube
00:00 – Intro
- Breaking news – Instagram goes down | 9 news
- Instagram co-founders Systrom and Krieger step down | NY Times
08:39 – Oculus Connect 5
- Oculus Connect 5 keynote featuring Zuckerberg | Oculus YouTube
- Oculus Quest specs, price, release date and everything else | UploadVR
- Hands-on with the Oculus Quest VR headset | Tested YouTube
- 6 degrees of freedom | wikipedia
27:53 – Applications of tether-less VR
- John Carmack, Oculus CTO and godfather of modern gaming | wikipedia
- Oculus Quest put us in an arena scale wild west shoot out | The Verge
- Project Tennis Scramble preview | VR focus
- Star Wars VR experience ‘Vader Immortal’ will debut on Quest | engadget
40:28 – Our VR future
- Michael Abrash, Chief Scientist at Oculus | wikipedia
- What is fixed foveated rendering and why does it matter? | Tom’s Hardware
- 5 big takeaways from Michael Abrash’s OC5 keynote | UploadVR
The Lazy Couch is a geek culture podcast hosted by Kelvin Lee and Geoff Kim, based out of Sydney Australia. Topics range from the latest trends in technology to comic book movies and all things geeky. If you enjoyed listening to us, you can help the show by leaving us a review on iTunes or get in touch with us on @thelazycouch.
The outro music is ‘Sorry’ by Comfort Fit.